Re: Static branch prediction

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:30:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Static branch prediction plfriko@yahoo.de (Tim Frink) (2008-03-03)
Re: Static branch prediction armbru@pond.sub.org (Markus Armbruster) (2008-03-04)
Re: Static branch prediction andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-03-05)
Re: Static branch prediction anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-03-05)
Re: Static Branch Prediction arcfide@sacrideo.us (Aaron W. Hsu) (2012-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:30:43 GMT
Posted-Date: 05 Mar 2008 06:02:02 EST

Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de> writes:
>This idea is probably not new, so I wonder if you know any
>compilers/optimizers that apply this technique? Do you have own
>experiences or know any papers/reports where any results are
>presented?

I liked this paper very much, especially for its detailed analysis of
the issues involved, and its presentation:

@InProceedings{young&smith94,
    author = "Cliff Young and Michael D. Smith",
    title = "Improving the Accuracy of Static Branch Prediction
Using Branch Correlation",
    crossref = "asplos94",
    pages = "232--241",
    annote = "This profiling-based method is quite different from
the hardware schemes, because it differentiates
between the paths on which a branch is executed. If
the branch predictions along different paths are
different, the branch (and part of the paths to it)
is replicated. The improvements in prediction
accuracy seem to be in the same league as Krall's
results."
}

@Proceedings{asplos94,
    title = "Architectural Support for Programming Languages and
Operating Systems (ASPLOS-VI)",
    booktitle = "Architectural Support for Programming Languages and
Operating Systems (ASPLOS-VI)",
    year = "1994",
    key = "ASPLOS-VI"
}

A little earlier:

@INPROCEEDINGS{Kral94a,
                AUTHOR = {Andreas Krall},
                TITLE = {Improving Semi-static Branch Prediction by Code Replication},
                BOOKTITLE = {Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation},
                ORGANIZATION= {ACM},
                SERIES = {SIGPLAN},
                VOLUME = {29(7)},
                PAGES = {97--106},