Static branch predictors ?

Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de>
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:32:13 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Static branch predictors ? plfriko@yahoo.de (Tim Frink) (2008-03-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:32:13 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 04 Mar 2008 09:35:05 EST

Hi,

Many of today's DSPs do not use a dynamic branch prediction but a
static one due to energy efficacy and predictability reasons. The
predicted outcome of a jump depends on the instruction, i.e. a 16-bit
conditional jump instruction is predicted as taken while a 32-bit
instruction with a forward displacement is predicted as not taken.

If the outcome of a jump would be known in advance, one could use the
appropriate jump instructions to avoid misprediction, thus
accelerating the program execution. I assume that profiling data could
be used for that to figure out the more probable jump behavior.

This idea is probably not new, so I wonder if you know any
compilers/optimizers that apply this technique? Do you have own
experiences or know any papers/reports where any results are
presented?

Regards,
Tim
[I'm pretty sure that Multiflow did branch prediction in profile
feedback in the 1980s. -John]