need ideas on how to debug code generator

Ram Bhamidipaty <rambham@gmail.com>
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:47:50 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
need ideas on how to debug code generator rambham@gmail.com (Ram Bhamidipaty) (2008-02-24)
Re: need ideas on how to debug code generator thomas@povtal.org (Thomas Have) (2008-02-25)
Re: need ideas on how to debug code generator n.pipenbrinck@cubic.org (Nils) (2008-02-26)
Re: need ideas on how to debug code generator bc@freeuk.com (Bartc) (2008-02-27)
Re: need ideas on how to debug code generator bisqwit@iki.fi (Joel Yliluoma) (2008-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ram Bhamidipaty <rambham@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:47:50 -0800
Posted-Date: 25 Feb 2008 09:56:45 EST

Hi,

I have a small code generator - for 32 bit x86 machines, unfortunately it
has some bugs :-(. My problem is that the generated code fails
"once in a while" sometimes it can go for 20-40 iterations before failing.

I have a collection of test cases where I verify the correctness of
various simple constructs -- things like load, store, add, sub, etc.
Those all pass.

The test case in question generates a code sequence of about 400 bytes. It
fails by seg faulting, unfortunately gdb is unable to print out a
useful stack trace.

What are some techniques that people have used for debugging code
generators?

-Ram