Re: Help with Live Range Analysis?

John Carney <j.carney@yahoo.com>
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 02:31:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help with Live Range Analysis? j.carney@yahoo.com (John Carney) (2008-01-12)
Re: Help with Live Range Analysis? sdn@svpal.org (Steven Nichols) (2008-01-13)
Re: Help with Live Range Analysis? rayiner@gmail.com (Rayiner Hashem) (2008-01-13)
Re: Help with Live Range Analysis? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-01-14)
Re: Help with Live Range Analysis? j.carney@yahoo.com (John Carney) (2008-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Carney <j.carney@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 02:31:48 GMT
Posted-Date: 16 Jan 2008 21:38:00 EST

Hans,

My representation is intended to just show the use of variables and
control flow of the microcode as extracted from the source code. The
actual mapping of those variables to registers (as chosen by the
programmer) can also be extracted from the source code but is not
represented.

I was hoping to break this into two problems:

The first problem is to understand for each variable which other
variables interfere with it (i.e have overlapping live ranges). For
this, I was hoping a tool existed to take a simple representation of
the control flow and data flow and provide a report. That is what I
was trying to show with my sample code.

The second problem is to process the report to prove or disprove that
for each variable no other variable has been mapped to the same
register. This is easy for me to do once the first problem is solved.

In addition to these, I also thought it would be nice if for each line
in my simple represnetation, I could get a report of all variables
that are alive at that line.

I hope this clarifies.

John