Re: Convert pseudo register-based assembly to stack-based assembly

Michael Beck <mm.beck@gmx.net>
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:02:12 -0500 (EST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Convert pseudo register-based assembly to stack-based assembly julien.hamaide@gmail.com (2007-12-12)
Re: Convert pseudo register-based assembly to stack-based assembly mm.beck@gmx.net (Michael Beck) (2008-01-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Beck <mm.beck@gmx.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:02:12 -0500 (EST)
Posted-Date: 06 Jan 2008 18:02:12 EST

julien.hamaide@gmail.com wrote:

> Now I want to optimize that code by using the fpu stack. I've thought
> of using the register allocation with pseudo fpu instructions and
> pseudo fpu registers. After the register allocation, I would convert
> pseudo-instruction into real fpu stack, allocating stack slot to
> register. LLVM is using such a technique to allocate stack slot. But I
> can't find any information on this process. Does anybody have
> experience on this or have information about it?

Search for this:

Allen Leung and Lal George:
Some notes on the new MLRISC X86 floating point code generator.

Note that although this paper assumes only 7 pseudo registers, it also works
with 8.

Moreover, the x87 simulator in libFirm (www.sf.net/project/libfirm) should
have some hopefully understandable comments regarding this technique :-).

best regards,

--
Michael Beck