Re: BASIC to JVM

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:41:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
BASIC to JVM roessmann@gmx.net (Bernhard Roessmann) (2007-11-03)
Re: BASIC to JVM gneuner2/@/comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-11-05)
Re: BASIC to JVM roessmann@gmx.net (2007-11-09)
Re: BASIC to JVM gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-11-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:41:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Nov 2007 12:41:25 EST

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:05:30 +0100, roessmann@gmx.net wrote:

>> Check out:
>> http://www.robert-tolksdorf.de/vmlanguages.html#basic
>
>Thanks George, but what I mean is NOT a BASIC Compiler/Interpreter
>written in Java, but a BASIC compiler which compiles a BASIC
>sourcecode to JAVA bytecode later interpreted by a JVM. The compiler
>MAY be written in Java or C or whatever.
>
>regards,

Sorry I misunderstood.

There is something called "Project Semplice" which purports to be a
VB6 compatible compiler targeting the JVM.

http://blogs.sun.com/tor/entry/semplice_keynote_demo
http://blogs.sun.com/herbertc/entry/project_semplice_visual_basic_for

The blogs are from last year (2006) and it looks like there had
already been a lot of work put into it. According to Herbert, the
authors were hoping to have it available for JavaOne 2007, but that
has past and I haven't (yet) been able to find it available for
download anywhere.

You might try emailing the authors (see Herbert's blog). Other than
this project I think you're out of luck.

George