Re: Divide by zero detection

Alex Colvin <alexc@TheWorld.com>
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:02:31 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Divide by zero detection qualitychecker@free.fr (news.club-internet.fr) (2007-09-18)
Re: Divide by zero detection DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-09-20)
Re: Divide by zero detection alexc@TheWorld.com (Alex Colvin) (2007-09-21)
Re: Divide by zero detection gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-09-22)
Re: Divide by zero detection gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2007-09-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alex Colvin <alexc@TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:02:31 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 21 Sep 2007 02:21:07 EDT

>> I am looking for tools able to detect inside the source code,
>> potential divide by zero errors. Does it exist. For what languages,
>> what platform ? Thanks for your help

I think you're unlikely to find this in software, as it's one of the
errors that is reliably and efficiently detected in hardware.

>No zero divide there, either. Doing the analysis properly is doubtless
>undecidable, but with aggressive dataflow analysis you should be able to
>rule out a lot of known non-zero divisors. -John]

Can you asseme 0s must come from constant 0, addition, subtraction or
bitwise operation, or division. Multiplication only propagates existing
zeros. See if any of these can reach your divisor.
--
mac the naof