Re: Dominance frontier example in Engineering a Compiler

Michelle Strout <mstrout@cs.colostate.edu>
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:33:01 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dominance frontier example in "Engineering a Compiler" rayiner@gmail.com (Rayiner Hashem) (2007-06-19)
Re: Dominance frontier example in "Engineering a Compiler" klvnraju@gmail.com (Raj) (2007-07-03)
Re: Dominance frontier example in "Engineering a Compiler" rayiner@gmail.com (Rayiner Hashem) (2007-07-03)
Re: Dominance frontier example in Engineering a Compiler mstrout@cs.colostate.edu (Michelle Strout) (2007-07-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michelle Strout <mstrout@cs.colostate.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:33:01 -0600
Posted-Date: 05 Jul 2007 15:34:42 EDT

Rayiner,

I think there is a mistake in the example.

> I'm a little confused about the dominance frontier example given in
> section 9.2 of Cooper & Torczon's "Engineering a Compiler". The
> example in question is reproduced on page 12 of these slides:
> http://www.cs.rice.edu/~keith/512/Lectures/08SSA.pdf
>
> When I run the algorithm they give on the example CFG, I end up with
> B1 in its own dominance frontier. This makes sense, since B1 dominates
> a predecessor of itself (B7), but does not strictly dominate itself.
> However, the worked example shows the dominance frontier of B being
> empty. The book explains this by saying something along the lines of
> "the compiler notices that B7's immediate dominator is B1, so it adds
> B1 to DF(B7) and to no other node", but does not explain why the
> algorithm terminates its backtracking before B1, instead of continuing
> up the dominator tree to B0.

You have noticed the mistake exactly. Using the version of the
algorithm that is on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Static_single_assignment_form), the following steps occur while
visiting B1:

// for each node b
b = B1
// if the number of predecessors of b >= 2
# preds for B1 is 2

// for each p in pred[b]
for each p in pred[B1]
runner = B7

// while runner is not idom(b)
B7 is not idom(B1), B0 is idom(B1)

// add b to runner's DF set
DF(B7) = {B1}

// runner = idom(runner)
runner = idom(B7) = B1

// while runner is not idom(b)
B1 is not idom(B1)

// add b to runner's DF set
DF(B1) = {B1}

Nodes can definitely be in their own dominance frontier. As
illustration why it is sometimes necessary, consider the following
statements in B0 and B1 of the example we are discussing:

B0
x = ...

B1
... = x
x = ...

B1 must be in its own dominance frontier so that a phi function for x
is placed at the top of B1.

-Michelle

    Michelle Mills Strout
    Assistant Professor