Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Wed, 16 May 2007 11:24:05 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-05-11)
Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses cdsmith@twu.net (Chris Smith) (2007-05-12)
Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-05-13)
Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses kenney@cix.compulink.co.uk (2007-05-14)
Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2007-05-15)
Re: choosing a teaching language, was Java compiler courses DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-05-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:24:05 +0200
Posted-Date: 17 May 2007 02:06:42 EDT

Chris Smith wrote:

>>The same for C++ or Java, these also are useless without additional
>>libraries, [...]
>

> Huh? I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from here. Really,
> really trying... and it's not coming to me. Did you really just claim
> that Java has too FEW standard library routines, but Pascal is fine?

After an hint from our esteemed mod I had to revise my opinion. In my
Pascal docs I found about 40 symbols (types, constants, functions),
which are not part of the Pascal syntax. I missed to remember these,
because some of them (Read, WriteLn...) are compiler magics, and as such
IMO are part at least of the semantics of the language.

Apart from that small system library nothing else is required to start
writing programs in Pascal. That was my point in comparison to other
languages, where the coder has to master much bigger libraries, before
he can start writing programs.

DoDi