Re: C Hashmap implementation

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
27 Apr 2007 11:28:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: C Hashmap implementation cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2007-04-26)
Re: C Hashmap implementation Sean.Gillespie@bisonofborg.com (bison) (2007-04-26)
Re: C Hashmap implementation cdiggins@gmail.com (Christopher Diggins) (2007-04-26)
Re: C Hashmap implementation gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-04-26)
Re: C Hashmap implementation gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2007-04-26)
Re: C Hashmap implementation roessmann@gmx.net (Bernhard Roessmann) (2007-04-26)
Re: C Hashmap implementation DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-04-27)
Re: C Hashmap implementation pww19710430@gmail.com (2015-04-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Apr 2007 11:28:30 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 Apr 2007 11:28:30 EDT

Bernhard Roessmann wrote:

>>Almost everyone I've talked to has said that Chained Hashmaps are much
>>easier to implement than Open Addressed maps.
>
> I dont think so, open addressed maps are very easy to implement. But
> beware of the fill level (see below).
>
>>Wikipedia suggests that an approach to resizing hashmaps is to
>>allocate space for a newer hashmap and copy elements from to the new
>>table, and in some cases do it incrementally.
>
> If you have enough RAM and resizing occurs infrequently, why not. In an
> embedded environment with limited RAM resources and/or without MMU, this
> is not really a good idea.

If one doesn't have enough RAM even for the hash table, how much
memory will be missing for the rest of the application?

When the available RAM is of concern, it might be better to base the
whole application on database structures and concepts, designed for
handling large amounts of information offline (disk based).

DoDi