rules to generate a context free grammar

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>
23 Apr 2007 07:48:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
rules to generate a context free grammar alinsoar@voila.fr (A Soare) (2007-04-23)
Re: rules to generate a context free grammar mburrel@uwo.ca.easynews.com (Mike Burrell) (2007-04-23)
Re: rules to generate a context free grammar cdsmith@twu.net (Chris Smith) (2007-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Apr 2007 07:48:12 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Apr 2007 07:48:12 EDT

Hello.

I am very new to this list, and I do not know if this is the good
place to ask the following question.

I know that every set that can be generated by a computer can also be
generated by a context free grammar.

My question is: looking at the program that generates a set, can we
deduce the context free grammar that generates it? There are some
rules for my problem? If not, there are clear rules to write the
grammar for a set?

Thanks in advance.

Alin Soare.
[It's trivial to write a CFG that recognizes any fixed set of strings, but
that grammar isn't likely to be very useful. There's been a lot of work
trying to infer a grammar from examples, but it is not my impression that
the results have been very good. -John]