Compiler positions available for week ending February 25

"comp.compilers" <compilers@iecc.com>
25 Feb 2007 12:49:12 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler positions available for week ending February 25 compilers@iecc.com (comp.compilers) (2007-02-25)
Compiler positions available for week ending February 25 compilers-jobs@iecc.com (1996-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "comp.compilers" <compilers@iecc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Feb 2007 12:49:12 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Feb 2007 12:49:12 EST

This is a digest of ``help wanted'' and ``position available'' messages
received at comp.compilers during the preceding week. Messages must
advertise a position having something to do with compilers and must also
conform to the guidelines periodically posted in misc.jobs.offered.
Positions that remain open may be re-advertised once a month. To respond
to a job offer, send mail to the author of the message. To submit a
message, mail it to compilers@iecc.com.

-------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:39:28 +0000 (GMT)
From: Oege de Moor <Oege.de.Moor@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Positions at Oxford - refactoring tools

                      Programming Tools Group
                    University of Oxford, UK

              http://progtools.comlab.ox.ac.uk
                        http://aspectbench.org

    >> fully funded 3-year PhD studentship <<
        >> numerous paid 2-months internships <<

1. PROJECT SUMMARY: ASPECT REFACTORING TOOLS
Software systems are rarely written from scratch: they evolve over
long periods of time. When a change is made, this often affects many
different locations in a system, and it is hard to make a change
consistently. For that reason, automated tools to help the process
of software change are desirable. "Refactoring" refers to the process
of restructuring an existing piece of software, often prior to
introducing new functionality, or to take advantage of a new
technology. Refactoring must preserve the behaviour of existing code,
and tools that help in refactoring both assist in the restructuring
process and in checking that the behaviour has not changed.

Unfortunately today's refactoring tools are very hard to construct,
they are still quite limited in functionality, and they often contain
bugs. This project aims to construct a framework for better
refactoring tools. In particular, the work is driven by refactorings
for a new set of language features, called `aspect-oriented programming'
that have recently been added to Java.

Our framework will be based on developments in three separate areas
of computer science:
* `strategies' to control the process of rewriting program code,
      from the `term rewriting' community
* `reference attributed grammars' to specify the conditions that
      guarantee behaviour is preserved, from the `compilers' community
* `incremental evaluation' of declarative rules, from the
      `functional and logic programming' community.

The quality of our framework will be assessed by coding selected
case studies using alternative methods. In particular, we shall
implement several refactorings directly in Eclipse, the leading
development environment for writing aspect-oriented programs in industry.

The project is funded by the EPSRC (UK equivalent of NSF).

2. REQUIREMENTS

The PhD student will be concerned with the theoretical foundations of
the refactoring framework, for instance proofs of correctness for
refactorings, and also for the incremental evaluation mechanism.
We are thus looking for someone with good mathematical skills, in
particular regarding formal properties of type systems and program
analyses. Candidates must have an outstanding undergraduate or
master's degree in computer science. Funding is provided to pay
for university fees at EU level (overseas candidates need supplementary
funding), plus subsistence, travel, equipment etc.

The 2-months positions are intended to assist with implementation work.
We are thus looking for highly skilled Java programmers; familiarity
with program analysis, formal type systems and so on will be an
advantage. These internships are in fact short-term appointments
as research assistants at the University of Oxford, and so the holders
will be paid a salary. Interns can be outstanding undergraduate
students who wish to gain research experience.

3. HOW TO APPLY

The deadline for applications is March 20, 2007.

* For the PhD studentship, follow the instructions on

        http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/prospective/dphil/

      Clearly mark your application "Aspect Refactoring Tools
      project". Also send a full electronic copy of your application
      to oege@comlab.ox.ac.uk, by March 20, 2007.

* For the 2-months positions, send a letter explaining your
      interest in the project, plus a full cv and the names of
      3 referees to oege@comlab.ox.ac.uk.

4. FURTHER INFORMATION

We are happy to discuss any of the above informally with prospective
candidates. Just email one or all of the project leaders:

      Oege de Moor (oege@comlab.ox.ac.uk)
      Torbjorn Ekman (torbjorn@comlab.ox.ac.uk)
      Mathieu Verbaere (matv@comlab.ox.ac.uk)

-------------------------------

Subject: Compiler Engineer - Visual Concepts - 2K Sports (Novato CA)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:33:19 -0800
From: "Johnny Prewitt" <jprewitt@vcentertainment.com>

Compiler Engineer

Join one of the world's most respected studios and help create the next
generation of #1-rated videogames! We're Visual Concepts, the studio
responsible for the critically-acclaimed "2K Sports" line of videogames,
as well as original non-sports entertainment titles and top technology.

We're applying proprietary tools in development of the very best sports
simulation experiences - interactive, real time graphics, at 60 frames
per second - very exciting technology.

As a Compiler Engineer, you will work as a member of the elite Visual
Concepts Core Technology Group. You will create custom compiler
extensions and proprietary development languages and tools for cross
platform, console game development - this is the very foundation for our
state-of-the-art, award winning, suite of video games.

Required background:

- BSCS or MSCS or above, high GPA required
- Deep knowledge of C and C++ inside and out
- Understanding of compiler design and methodology
- Enthusiasm for compiler design and compiler front-end design
- Prior experience in compiler design/development a plus
- Demonstrable initiative through personal projects and/or past
internships (required)
- Exceptional problem solving and debugging skills
- A self-starter who can work as part of a team
- Good communication skills

Compensation is generous and includes a full range of company paid
benefits. For the right candidate we will be glad to help with
relocation and visa costs.

How to Apply:

Forward your resume immediately to techdirector@vcentertainment.com or
call 415-507-7695

Location: Novato, CA.

-------------------------------

Subject: Back-End Compiler Developers (Waterloo, Ont.)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:36:37 -0500
From: "Mason Stubel" <Mason@planitsearch.com>

Back-End Compiler Developers

I'm currently working with a Waterloo, Ontario, Canada based company
that is developing an innovative new "Software Development Platform".
This tool - which is virtually a Compiler - will allow software
vendors to deliver high performance applications for multi-core, and
stream processors, such as the GPU, and Cell Chip. Software
Developers using this tool will be able to write in C++, without
having to worry about the low-level optimizations to take full
advantage of these new hardware platforms.

Ideally - I'm looking for 1 or 2 people at the junior to intermediate
level, and 1 person at the Senior Level to oversee the whole Compiler
Team (about 6 People). The company is start-up in nature - so
attractive stock options are part of the package.

Optimum Experience would include:

* 5+ Years Compiler Development Experience

* Computing Science Degree

* Working knowledge of C++ on Windows and Linux Platforms

* Strong understanding of the entire compilation process

* Knowledge of machine architecture at the assembly level

* Experience designing Intermediate Representations

* Experience with compilation issues such as register
allocation, scheduling, optimizations, and code generation

If you'd like to hear more - please give me a call or email.

Thanks,

Mason Stubel
PlanIT Search
1-877-600-0089 Ext 231