Re: PL/MIX

Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu>
16 Feb 2007 02:05:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: PL/MIX gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX sdn@svpal.org (Steven Nichols) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-11)
Re: PL/MIX ArarghMail702@Arargh.com (2007-02-12)
Re: PL/MIX Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2007-02-12)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-16)
Re: PL/MIX martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2007-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 2007 02:05:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Feb 2007 02:05:42 EST

Peter Flass <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com> writes:

> Allan Adler wrote:
> > I don't know if it is what I want (i.e. an analogue for x86 of PL360
> > or the nonexistent PL/MIX) but it does seem to offer a lot of
> > desirable features, not the least of which is that I can study it on
> > my own machine instead of on machines that I don't know anything about
> > and don't have access to.
>
> Somewhat off-topic, but if you wanted to play with PL360, etc., there
> is an emulator for s/360 and s/370 that runs on a peecee (Hercules), and
> all the old software is freely available to run the old stuff.

Thanks, that's good to know. I just took a look at the site and, unfortunately,
the binaries and source for hercules for Linux are both in rpm files. I try
to avoid dealing with rpm files whenever possible. I prefer tarballs,
such as they are currently distributing in hercules-3.04.1.tar.gz, but
unfortunately this tarball is only intended for the Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
version of Hercules.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu>