Re: Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1)

Karsten Nyblad <148f3wg02@sneakemail.com>
4 Feb 2007 20:27:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1) snoyberg@gmail.com (2007-01-31)
Re: Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1) lothar@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de (Lothar Schmitz) (2007-02-03)
Re: Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1) momchil.velikov@gmail.com (Momchil Velikov) (2007-02-03)
Re: Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1) satyakiran@gmail.com (satya) (2007-02-03)
Re: Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1) 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2007-02-04)
Re: Moving from LR(0) to LALR(1) snoyberg@gmail.com (snoyberg) (2007-02-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Karsten Nyblad <148f3wg02@sneakemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Feb 2007 20:27:40 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Feb 2007 20:27:40 EST

>> Since my main goal for writing this is parsing Java, getting it to
>> use LALR(1) is a necesity (or at least some equivalently powered
>> algorithm).

> @article{806968,
> author = {Frank DeRemer and Thomas J. Pennello},
> title = {Efficient computation of LALR(1) look-ahead sets},
> journal = {SIGPLAN Not.},
> volume = {14},
> number = {8},
> year = {1979},
> issn = {0362-1340},
> pages = {176--187},
> doi = {http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/872732.806968},
> publisher = {ACM Press},
> address = {New York, NY, USA},
> }

Two points: First, as DeRemer and Pennello writes in the article,
there is an error in that article. (They did not have time for fixing
it before publication.) The error is fixed in this later version of
the article:

Efficient Computation of LALR(1) Look-Ahead Sets
Source ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS)
Volume 4 , Issue 4 (October 1982) table of contents
Pages: 615 - 649
Year of Publication: 1982
ISSN:0164-0925
Authors
Frank DeRemer Computer and Information Sciences, University of
California, Santa Cruz, CA
Thomas Pennello Computer and Information Sciences, University of
California, Santa Cruz, CA

Secondly, you can get a thorough introduction to the algorithm and a lot
of parsing theory in:

Parsing Theory
S. Sippu & E. Soisalon-Soininen
Vol 1 & 2. (You need both volumes)
Springer Verlag, 1988 & 1988

It seems like Amazon has a single copy of volume 2 left.

Karsten Nyblad
148f3wg02 at sneakemail dot com