re: Bliss-11

"Mark Mickelsen" <mark.mickelsen@comcast.net>
19 Nov 2006 10:49:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
re: Bliss-11 mark.mickelsen@comcast.net (Mark Mickelsen) (2006-11-19)
Re: Bliss-11 jle@ural.owlnet.rice.edu (2006-11-20)
Re: Bliss-11 Juergen.KahrsDELETETHIS@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2006-11-20)
Re: Bliss-11 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mark Mickelsen" <mark.mickelsen@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Nov 2006 10:49:30 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Nov 2006 10:49:30 EST

Hello,

Is there a Yacc grammar for Bliss-11 available? Has anyone ever done
anything about getting a Bliss-11 compiler running on anything besides
a PDP-10? I still think it is one of the best SIL's ever written and
I would like to have a version that runs on my PC. I would like to
have multiple code generation modules which will generate code for
various microprocessors. I'm sure I'll have to do some code writing
for these modules so I'm looking for any information available for the
compiler. I've got a copy of all the source code for the compiler
written in Bliss-10, but without any documentation it's pretty rough
going trying to use it for anything. Is it still possible to get a
printout of "The Design of an Optimizing Compiler" via print-on-demand
from University Microfilms (at CMU, I presume). If so, do you how do
I go about getting that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Mickelsen
[I would be surprised if there were a yacc grammar for Bliss, since
Bliss was never very popular on Unix, and yacc wasn't very popular on
the DEC operating systems. Yes, you can still get a print on demand
copy of the Bliss-11 book. Go to UMI's web site and order it, for
about $60. -John]