Re: compiler optimization project

Gary Oblock <mwso@earthlink.net>
28 Oct 2006 01:26:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler optimization project khubaib92@gmail.com (khubaib) (2006-10-19)
Re: compiler optimization project egor.pasko@gmail.com (2006-10-24)
Re: compiler optimization project 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-10-26)
Re: compiler optimization project ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (2006-10-28)
Re: compiler optimization project mwso@earthlink.net (Gary Oblock) (2006-10-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gary Oblock <mwso@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Oct 2006 01:26:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Oct 2006 01:26:02 EDT

khubaib wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a graduate student doing major in computer architecture, and I am
> taking a course on optimizing compilers. There is a term project
> involved in this course, and I was looking for ideas. The
> infrastructure that we have used so far in the course is JIKES RVM,
> and I hope to continue using it for the project. I am interested in
> register allocation and scheduling (mostly the backend, near to
> machine). Could any one please suggest an idea? As I am from
> architecture background, I was thinking of something like scheduling
> issues for upcoming multiple-core based machines. In a multiple core
> machine, there might be some simple and some very aggressive
> processors, and studying what optimization should be done for which
> core can be beneficial. (thinking on those lines...).

I always thought it would be interesting to look at code transforms
with regard to their effect on the underlying resources of an out of
order instruction execution machine. Why not look at this as an
opportunity to combine compiler optimization with your area of
interest (computer architecture.) I realize that out of order
execution might not be a cool research topic anymore, but you asked...

-- Gary

--
Bronze Dreams
http://www.bronzedreams.com