Re: Compiler books

Tommy Thorn <tommy.thorn@gmail.com>
30 Aug 2006 14:09:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler books martin_filteau@yahoo.ca (Martin Filteau) (2006-08-29)
Re: Compiler books tommy.thorn@gmail.com (Tommy Thorn) (2006-08-30)
Re: Compiler books Trevor.Jenkins@suneidesis.com (2006-08-30)
Re: Compiler books cbarron413@adelphia.net (Carl Barron) (2006-08-31)
Re: Compiler books ang.usenet@gmail.com (Aaron Gray) (2006-09-03)
Re: Compiler books rmathew@gmail.com (Ranjit Mathew) (2006-09-08)
compiler books meulenbr@prl.philips.nl (1994-03-22)
compiler books zp4@semaphorecorp.com (1996-06-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tommy Thorn <tommy.thorn@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Aug 2006 14:09:59 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Aug 2006 14:09:59 EDT

Martin Filteau wrote:
> "Advanced compiler design & implementation", Steven S. Muchnick
> "Engineering a compiler", Keith D. Cooper & Linda Torczon
> "Compiler design in C", Allen Holub.
>
> I would like to have your suggestions. I'm looking for a compiler book
> with emphasis on instruction selection & register allocation.
> Specifically, for generating code from C expressions.

Great question. I too find most of the compiler books too introductory
and too focused on the front end (parsing, sigh). Thanks for your
question, it prompted me to check whatever happed to the Dragon book.
Apparently, the 2nd edition is due to be released THE DAY AFTER
TOMORROW! (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Century_Compilers and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321486811/)

I'd really like to see a compiler book more focused (or even based) on
the value dependency graph or the thinned gated single-assignment form
as presented by Paul Havlak. (Randy Allen's "Optimizing Compilers for
Modern Architectures: A Dependence-based Approach" didn't fit the bill
in spite of the the promising title).

Finally, I have been meaning to check out Y.N. Srikant et al "The
Compiler Design Handbook: Optimizations & Machine Code Generation". Any
feedback on this book would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tommy