Re: good book for Foundations of CS graduate class ?

Randy <joe@burgershack.com>
24 Aug 2006 18:15:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
good book for Foundations of CS graduate class ? surfunbear@yahoo.com (2006-08-19)
Re: good book for Foundations of CS graduate class ? joe@burgershack.com (Randy) (2006-08-24)
Re: good book for Foundations of CS graduate class ? surfunbear@yahoo.com (2006-08-24)
Re: good book for Foundations of CS graduate class ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2006-08-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randy <joe@burgershack.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
Date: 24 Aug 2006 18:15:19 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 Aug 2006 18:15:19 EDT

If you're committed to taking the course, I suggest that you buy the
Du & Ko text and decide for yourself if you understand it. If not,
also buy a well regarded older undergrad CS theory text like:

Sipser (my favorite)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/053494728X/sr=8-2/qid=1156390733/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6801875-0439845?ie=UTF8

Lewis & Papadimitriou (also very good)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0132734176/ref=ed_oe_h/102-2366519-7237712?ie=UTF8

Aho, Hopcroft & Ullman (a bit too succinct and formal)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201000237/sr=1-2/qid=1156391059/ref=sr_1_2/102-2366519-7237712?ie=UTF8&s=books

Sudkamp (mostly harmless)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201821362/ref=ed_oe_h/102-2366519-7237712?ie=UTF8

The syllabus you listed looks to be 90% identical to the standard
junior level theory course. Du & Ko's other book (on computational
complexity) is renowned for being very formal and difficult. Probably
their CS theory book will be comparably daunting. A good second
theory book might be a wise investment.

          Randy