Re: Quality of VAX compilers

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen@mediasec.de>
12 Jun 2006 23:50:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Quality of VAX compilers firefly@diku.dk (Peter \Firefly\Lund) (2006-06-03)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers lkrupp@pssw.nospam.com.invalid (Louis Krupp) (2006-06-05)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers firefly@diku.dk (Peter \Firefly\Lund) (2006-06-07)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers jafred@verizon.net (John Fredrickson) (2006-06-07)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2006-06-11)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers tom@kednos.com (Tom Linden) (2006-06-11)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers jvorbrueggen@mediasec.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?=) (2006-06-12)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers tom@kednos.com (Tom Linden) (2006-06-15)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers kenrose@tfb.com (Ken Rose) (2006-06-15)
Re: Quality of VAX compilers henry@spsystems.net (2006-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen@mediasec.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jun 2006 23:50:59 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Jun 2006 23:50:59 EDT

>>The VAX hardware and VMS Operating System were designed together and
>>were a beautiful system. Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) did a
>>good job transitioning to Alpha and OpenVMS.
> I think you will get some argument on that, the Alpha instruction set
> left a lot to be desired, which is one reason a lot of the VAX objecrs
> were 'VEST'ed

Really? AFAICT, the three main reasons for VESTing (binary translation
with run-time support) were

- no source available (hah! so what else is new?)
- the relevant compiler was not ported to Alpha (e.g., SCAN)
- performance was good enough for the translated code, why bother with
      re-everythinging it?

Code heavily using the "commercial" instruction set suffered, but it
was already suffering on the later VAX implementations. Sometimes the
compiler upgrade helped - for instance, certain COBOL data types were
implemented as BCD on VAX but changed to use native 64-bit integers on
Alpha. VESTing such applications could only have made things worse.

Jan