Re: a small query about Value numbering

"Jeremy Wright" <Jeremy.Wright@microfocus.com>
26 May 2006 12:48:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
a small query about Value numbering balu.ugandhar@gmail.com (yugandhar balaji krishna atukuri) (2006-05-26)
Re: a small query about Value numbering Jeremy.Wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2006-05-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jeremy Wright" <Jeremy.Wright@microfocus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 May 2006 12:48:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 May 2006 12:48:36 EDT

According to "Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation", Steven S.
Muchnick, pg343, in the following example Global Common SubExpression
and Partial Redundancy Elimination both eliminate the third "2 * i" but
Value Numbering does not.

        read(i)
        l := 2 * i
        if i > 0 goto L1
        j := 2 * i
        goto L2
L1: k := 2 * i
L2:

As others have commented before, Muchnick's book is excellent but there
is no hand holding. He expects you keep up with him.