Release of Tom 2.3

Antoine Reilles <reilles@loria.fr>
28 Apr 2006 23:51:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Release of Tom 2.3 reilles@loria.fr (Antoine Reilles) (2006-04-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Antoine Reilles <reilles@loria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Apr 2006 23:51:24 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Apr 2006 23:51:24 EDT

Tom 2.3 announcement
--------------------

It is my great privilege and pleasure to announce the availability of
Tom version 2.3.

This release continues our work on the integration of pattern matching
and rule based programming facilities into C and Java.

Tom is a pattern matching compiler developed at INRIA. It is
particularly well-suited for programming various transformations on
trees/terms and XML based documents. Its design follows our research
on the efficient compilation of rule based languages (e.g. ELAN,
developed at INRIA-Loria).

Many applications have been developed in Tom. Among them, let us mention:
  - the Tom compiler itself
  - languages semantics, interpreters and program transformation tools
  - a prover for the Calculus of Structures
  - an interpreter for the Rho Calculus
  - a disunification algorithm

Tom is a complex compiler which adds powerful constructs to C and
Java: non linear syntactic matching, associative matching with neutral
element (a.k.a. list-matching), XML based pattern matching, string
matching, and equational rewriting.
This offers the possibility to analyze and transform any kind of
data-structure. Tom can be used for large scale developments and
applications. It comes with documentation, programming, and debugging
support.

This new release contains many improvements and new features:
    - a new generator of abstract data types implementations (Gom) which supports
        hooks. In practice, this corresponds to private data types of Caml, which
        ensures that terms are maintained in canonical form

    - a new %strategy construct which allows to easilly define strategies that
        can be combined using strategy primitives a la Stratego (All, One, Repeat,
        Choice, Innermost, Mu, etc.)

    - a new %[...]% construct which helps to write cide generators (it is no
        longer necessary to encode special characters of strings)

Tom is available, in open source (GPL/BSD License), from the Tom web page:

    http://tom.loria.fr

    best regards,
    Tom development team