Query on Semantics Analysis

"Sudesh Chandna, Noida" <sudeshc@hcl.in>
27 Apr 2006 09:13:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Query on Semantics Analysis sudeshc@hcl.in (Sudesh Chandna, Noida) (2006-04-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Sudesh Chandna, Noida" <sudeshc@hcl.in>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Apr 2006 09:13:12 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 Apr 2006 09:13:12 EDT

Are there any Formal notations commonly used to define the semantics of
a programming language? (Similar to how BNF defines the syntax). I am
exploring semantics and I found various formal notations:

Attribute grammars, Two level (W) Garammar, Denotational Semantics,
Operational semantics, Axiomatic semantics etc.

What I can make out is Attribute grammar is for static semantic checking
and Denotational Semantic, Operational semantics are for dynamic
semantic checking. But in some links I also found that attribute
grammars can be modified to handle dynamic semantics as well. Can anyone
put explain me this. Also though I studied some links related to these,
but I am not very much clear with these. Please tell me some links
which explains these topics in greater detail.