Completely table based parsers

"simon martin" <smartin@milliways.cl>
21 Apr 2006 23:43:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Completely table based parsers smartin@milliways.cl (simon martin) (2006-04-21)
Re: Completely table based parsers pbmann@gmail.com (2006-04-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "simon martin" <smartin@milliways.cl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Apr 2006 23:43:32 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Apr 2006 23:43:32 EDT

Hi all,

Background:

I have used Flex/Bison extensively in the past for compiler
generation, but I now have a requirement to generate a suite of
compilers for an embedded system, i.e. I don't have much memory to
play with.

The big problem I have with the Bison/YACC approach is that the
generated parser has two components, a table that specifies the
alphabet upon which the parser operates and code that specifies the
state transition logic. This is too big for me, as in principle I do
not have enough memory to store all the code for all the parsers (at
least 4). What I need is a parser generator that will generate tables
not only for the alphabet, but also the transition logic, enabling me
to have only one generic parser engine which will be fed by different
table sets for the different languages required.

So far I have managed to find one product that does this, Gold Parser.

Questions:

1.- Has anyone used Gold Parser in a real situation?

2.- Are there any other products out there that will do this?

3.- Has anyone got any suggestions on how best to approach this?

TIA

Simon Martin