Re: Data migration

"shrey" <shreyas76@gmail.com>
12 Apr 2006 22:48:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Data migration shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2006-04-03)
Re: Data migration DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-04-08)
Re: Data migration shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2006-04-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "shrey" <shreyas76@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Apr 2006 22:48:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Apr 2006 22:48:05 EDT

Thanks for the answer, Thats a very good pointer.

Instead of correcting it as soon as the data is recieved at the other,
I would like to do it as late as possible, to cut down on the initial
set up. So the way I am thinking is that I want to do it just before a
pointer dererefence.

correct(p)
*p++

The function would look up the current value of p, it will compare the
value with all the objects it can point to and find the object it is
pointing to. And then find the location of the object in the new
environment and do the appropriate correction. To enable the look up
using function correct(p), pointers wil be always be assigned
addresses from a hypothetical address space that is not used in any of
the address spaces.

My heap data is likely to be in a shared memory. So I dont have to
worry abt pointers to heap only data.

IS this somethng feasible ? if I assume ansi-aliasing conventions,
would that make this safe?

Shrey