Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure?

"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have@sorry.bitbuck.cmm>
9 Apr 2006 17:24:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? andrews@csd.uwo.ca ((Jamie Andrews)) (2006-04-08)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? do_not_have@sorry.bitbuck.cmm (Rod Pemberton) (2006-04-09)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? tmp123@menta.net (tmp123) (2006-04-09)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? muehlenf@sbox.tugraz.at (Arndt Muehlenfeld) (2006-04-12)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2006-04-12)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? p.black@acm.org (Paul E. Black) (2006-04-14)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? scared.of.any@reply.mail (Rod Pemberton) (2006-04-16)
Re: C parser yielding syntax tree data structure? robert.thorpe@antenova.com (2006-04-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have@sorry.bitbuck.cmm>
Newsgroups: comp.software-eng,comp.compilers,comp.lang.c
Date: 9 Apr 2006 17:24:45 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 Apr 2006 17:24:45 EDT

"Jamie Andrews" <andrews@csd.uwo.ca> wrote in message
> For a research project, we're looking for a reliable parser for C
> that will take an ANSI C program and yield a tree representation of
> the program (as a Java or C++ object). Of course a grammar e.g. in
> jflex/jbison that will yield the same thing is fine too. We have been
> able to find some grammars and parsers, of unknown reliability, that
> don't yield a syntax tree; we want to avoid starting with a flaky
> parser and/or adding the syntax tree code.
>
> Preferably the tokens in the tree will contain information
> on the line number and character number of the token, but if it
> is sufficiently easy to add that code, then we can do that too.

(Since this is cross-posted, for those on comp.lang.c: yes, I've
posted most of these links previously...)

I don't know which if any of these may fulfill your needs, but they may be
worth a look. I also noticed some of the links are bad as I posted, but
they may still help you to track them down.

CIL - C Intermediate Language - C to C transformation
http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/

WCC - A C Subset Compiler (DECUS ftp links now appear to be dead...sorry)
http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/description_html/v00281.html
ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/

npath - C Source Complexity Measures
http://www.geonius.com/software/tools/npath.html

Check: A unit test framework for C
http://check.sourceforge.net/

CTool Library (call-graph generator, source transformations)
http://ctool.sourceforge.net/

Cproto automatically generates C function prototypes
http://cproto.sourceforge.net/

JSCPP - a C preprocessor + parser with special modes
http://www.die-schoens.de/prg/

CXREF C language cross referencing program
in volume1 of comp.sources.unix:
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/usenet/ftp.uu.net/comp.sources.unix/

CSur Le projet Csur (in French)
An analyzer of code C to detect common program execution errors
http://www.lsv.ens-cachan.fr/~goubault/Csur/csur.html

Chico State Mini-C Compiler (CSMCC) is a student training load-and-go
compiler (incomplete, teaching tool)
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~sameerg/compproj.html
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~hilzer/csci250/proj/

Edward Willink's C++ grammars:
http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/research/dsrg/fog/
(some of the links have an extra text '/v' in them, just delete)

ISO C/C++ grammars version 1.2 (c-c++-grammars-1.2.tar.gz)
http://www.sigala.it/sandro/download.php

A C99 Parser, a recursive decent parser
http://www.mazumdar.demon.co.uk/c_parser.html

Ctags generates an index (or tag) file of language objects
http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

Cdecl English<->C translator for C declarations
cdecl in volume6 of comp.sources.unix:
cdecl2 in volume14 of comp.sources.unix:
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/usenet/ftp.uu.net/comp.sources.unix/

Rod Pemberton