Graph coloring and JIT compilers.

"Poseidon13" <julian_solo13@hotmail.com>
29 Mar 2006 18:56:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Graph coloring and JIT compilers. julian_solo13@hotmail.com (Poseidon13) (2006-03-29)
Re: Graph coloring and JIT compilers. dnovillo@redhat.com (Diego Novillo) (2006-04-01)
Re: Graph coloring and JIT compilers. aghuloum@cs.indiana.edu (Abdulaziz Ghuloum) (2006-04-01)
Re: Graph coloring and JIT compilers. bonzini@gnu.org (Paolo Bonzini) (2006-04-01)
Re: Graph coloring and JIT compilers. torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (2006-04-03)
Re: Graph coloring and JIT compilers. richard@imagecraft.com (Richard) (2006-04-03)
Re: Graph coloring and JIT compilers. oliverhunt@gmail.com (oliverhunt@gmail.com) (2006-04-03)

From: "Poseidon13" <julian_solo13@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Mar 2006 18:56:46 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Mar 2006 18:56:46 EST

Good evening everyone!

It took me some time to figure out how to register to a Newsgroup but
now I'm here:). I am a second year computing student studying at
Imperial College London, whose exams are dangerously approaching.
I've been revising compilers, one of my favorites courses and tried
out a past paper, however I am somewhat stuck on a question, here it
comes :

  In a Java Just-In-Time compiler(JIT) it is essential to minimise the time
spent on code generation. Is graph coloring a good approach to register
allocation in a JIT?

I would say no because although graph colouring is an efficient technique it
does however take a rather long time to perform the register allocation.
I don't know what else I could say ( and I'm pretty sure the examiner would
be expecting much more:( ).
Could you please help me out for this question?
Thank you in advance.