Using AOP for writing compilers.

"Oliver Wong" <owong@castortech.com>
14 Mar 2006 00:55:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Using AOP for writing compilers. owong@castortech.com (Oliver Wong) (2006-03-14)
Re: Using AOP for writing compilers. nothingtosay@gmail.com (2006-03-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@castortech.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 2006 00:55:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2006 00:55:18 EST

        Given that Aspect Oriented Programming seems to mainly be about
separating cross-cutting concerns, it seems like an ideal paradigm for
compiler writing. However, after several Google searches, I was unable
to find any documentation or references on any attempts to use AOP for
compiler writing other than this essay on TreeCC:
http://www.southern-storm.com.au/treecc_essay.html

        The essay is rather short and light, and a lot of the problems the
author mentions about the other approaches that drove him/her to AOP
simply weren't big issues for me.

        I guess what I'm getting at is that while it might be interesting
to try an AOP approach, the benefits (for example in clarity or
modularity of source code) do not seem to be so great as to be worth,
for example, rewriting an existing compiler.

        Are there any other papers out there on using AOP for compiler
writing? Preferably ones which specifically look at what benefits AOP
brings to the table?

        - Oliver