Re: Microcontroller Compiler

torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
14 Mar 2006 00:50:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Microcontroller Compiler jatin.bhateja@conexant.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2006-03-11)
Re: Microcontroller Compiler torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (2006-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 2006 00:50:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2006 00:50:06 EST

"Jatin Bhateja" <jatin.bhateja@conexant.com> writes:

> I am also working on SDCC for some time. But still I am having several
> unanswered question in my mind. Can you guys just list down what all
> are the key features that one keeps in mind while designing a compiler
> for micro controller.

  1. Make sure the code is correct.

  2. Make sure the code is compact.

  3. If you want to use existing libraries, make sure you obey the same
        calling convention and data layout rules.

  4. If the micro controller has some special features, such as loop
        constructs, be sure that you can map source code to these features
        in a transparent way (i.e., so the programmer can use them from
        source code without writing something that would be unnatural from
        the source-language perspective).

  5. Don't worry too much about how long it takes to compile, as the
        programs are likely to be short.

                Torben