A Plain English Compiler

danrzeppa@gmail.com
17 Feb 2006 00:15:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A Plain English Compiler danrzeppa@gmail.com (2006-02-17)
Re: A Plain English Compiler torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (2006-02-17)
Re: A Plain English Compiler lkrupp@pssw.nospam.com.invalid (Louis Krupp) (2006-02-17)
Re: English grammar tools, was Plain English Compiler derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2006-02-17)
Re: A Plain English Compiler msxhans@yahoo.com (HansO) (2006-02-17)
Re: A Plain English Compiler usenet@informatimago.com (Pascal Bourguignon) (2006-02-19)
Re: A Plain English Compiler owong@castortech.com (Oliver Wong) (2006-02-19)

From: danrzeppa@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Feb 2006 00:15:21 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Feb 2006 00:15:21 EST

Since this is the 21st century, shouldn't we be able to talk to our
computers in our own language?

Well, I speak english, and I found this compiler at www.osmosian.com
that actually lets me use regular english sentences to program. I
didn't have to learn any cryptic syntax or weird combinations of
puncuation. It's just plain english.

It compiles to native Windows Executables and was written entirely in
itself (Plain English). It's pretty cool.
[Attempts to program computers in natural language go back to the
1950s. English is a swell language to write poetry, but a bad
language to write computer programs because its semantics are
ill-defined and its grammar is large, complex, and often ambiguous.
You can certainly chop English down to a small unambiguous subset, but
then you've just reinvented Cobol. -John]