Re: Help on code generation and register allocation

Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann@web.de>
14 Feb 2006 11:29:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help on code generation and register allocation Forum.Thomas.Krause@gmx.de (Thomas Krause) (2006-02-07)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation d148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-02-11)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation kym@ukato.freeshell.org (russell kym horsell) (2006-02-11)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation avayvod@gmail.com (Whywhat) (2006-02-11)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation u.hobelmann@web.de (Ulrich Hobelmann) (2006-02-12)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation avayvod@gmail.com (Whywhat) (2006-02-14)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation u.hobelmann@web.de (Ulrich Hobelmann) (2006-02-14)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation torbenm@app-5.diku.dk (2006-02-17)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation boldyrev@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru (Ivan Boldyrev) (2006-02-17)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation fw@deneb.enyo.de (Florian Weimer) (2006-02-17)
Re: Help on code generation and register allocation Forum.Thomas.Krause@gmx.de (Thomas Krause) (2006-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann@web.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Feb 2006 11:29:49 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Feb 2006 11:29:48 EST

Whywhat wrote:
> I always considered tail recursion elimination to be a
> target-independent optimization process. So what does it have to deal
> with register allocator and processor architecture?

On PPC for instance it's easy to just pack arguments in some registers,
pop the stack, and jump to the tail-calling location. On x86 you don't
have registers, so you pass (at least some) arguments on the stack.
That means you have to put whatever resided on the stack before in some
other location: registers (which have to be saved) or somewhere else on
the stack. Read my post again for how I'd prepare for a tail call on x86.

But it's not only CPU-dependent, but also register dependent, because
you can't simply push registers and call. You have to pop the stack
before calling, so you have to save those values somewhere else. As I
said, on most RISC machines that isn't a problem, but with THE
architecture for desktop, server, and workstation use, it is.

If tail recursion were completely target independent (and an
optimization), I don't see why not all compilers would Just Do It.
Especially GCC in Intel doesn't do it (except maybe for
self-tail-recursion), which means that you have to use trampolines, or
weird source code transformations to achieve the same effects (e.g. when
you want to transform a DFA to machine code, routines tail-calling each
other).

--
Suffering from Gates-induced brain leakage...