Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts

"Derek M. Jones" <derek@knosof.co.uk>
12 Jan 2006 12:12:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SQL grammar problem with Visual Parse++ junk@junk.com (John) (2001-07-23)
Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts mattblackmon@hotmail.com (matt blackmon) (2006-01-09)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts grosch@cocolab.de (Josef Grosch) (2006-01-12)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2006-01-12)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-01-12)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-01-12)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts drikosv@otenet.gr (Evangelos Drikos) (2006-01-12)
Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts mark.thiehatten@bibit.com (Mark Thiehatten) (2006-01-12)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-01-17)
Re: Oracle grammar ambiguities and conflicts mattblackmon@hotmail.com (Matt Blackmon) (2006-01-17)

From: "Derek M. Jones" <derek@knosof.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2006 12:12:09 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2006 12:12:09 EST

Matt,

> Sorry for resurrecting an old post from 2001, but I am wrestling with
> this same famous problem and have had no luck (beyond the original
> post) finding help on this famous problem. I'm currently working on
> an oracle 10g sql parser using flex/bison. Of the three solutions
> mentioned by the moderator (are there more?), here are the stumbling
> blocks I've encountered:

After spending several months I managed to create a grammar for SQL/2
that had a small number of reduce/reduce and shift/reduce conflicts.
Adding support for Oracle 7 (later 8) caused a few more conflicts to
be added.

My main problem with Oracle is all the undocumented constructs. Some
are simply stuff that their tool does not recognize and simply ignores
(very confusing since some developers have the attitude of "no tool
complaint -> it must do something; don't know what since I didn't write
the code"). Other constructs are simply supported because they were in
a very early release of the product.

I am happy to license you the source if you are interested in a
commercial solution.

Some background here: http://www.knosof.co.uk/sqlport.html