Re: 32 to 64 bit recompiler comments

"M Wolfe" <mwolfe@oregonw.com>
8 Oct 2005 17:35:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
32 to 64 bit recompiler comments timjowers@gmail.com (2005-08-24)
Re: 32 to 64 bit recompiler comments mwolfe@oregonw.com (M Wolfe) (2005-10-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "M Wolfe" <mwolfe@oregonw.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Oct 2005 17:35:29 -0400
Posted-Date: 08 Oct 2005 17:35:29 EDT

Having looked at this problem, the problem is the changes in the ABI,
the calling conventions. 32-bit x86 code passes arguments on the
stack, 64-bit uses registers for the first several arguments. At the
binary level, it's difficult to determine how many stack items were
arguments (turning a 32-bit call into a 64-bit call) or, at the
callee, how many register arguments should be pushed onto the stack.
Mechanically translating the rest of the code is much easier, though
there is still the problem is fitting a 64-bit pointer into a 32-bit
bucket.
-Michael Wolfe

[Before you can try to fit a 64 bit pointer into a 32 bit bucket, you
need to figure out which arguments are pointers and which aren't,
returning to the AI problem. Unless you can do it with shims, there's
no hope. -John]