Re: Hand written or tool generated lexical analyzers for FORTRAN

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
18 Sep 2005 00:44:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hand written or tool generated lexical analyzers for FORTRAN pankaj.jangid@gmail.com (Pankaj) (2005-09-14)
Re: Hand written or tool generated lexical analyzers for FORTRAN gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-09-15)
Re: Hand written or tool generated lexical analyzers for FORTRAN fjscipio@rochester.rr.com (Fred J. Scipione) (2005-09-17)
Re: Hand written or tool generated lexical analyzers for FORTRAN gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-09-18)
Re: Hand written or tool generated lexical analyzers for FORTRAN pankaj.jangid@gmail.com (Pankaj) (2005-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Sep 2005 00:44:41 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Sep 2005 00:44:41 EDT

Fred J. Scipione wrote:

(snip)

> This discussion has reminded me of a thought I had following the
> expositions in this news group on Quantum Parsers and Quantum
> Grammars. You may recall (or look-up :-)) that the threads included
> demonstrations of the idea that there is an algebra for parser
> descriptions that allows both the language terms and action items
> (code segments) to be manipulated without changing their semantics (or
> at least that is my poor paraphrasing of one of the demonstrated
> ideas).

And your discussion reminded me of dynamic programming algorithms. I
believe they are often used in code generators, to find the optimal
code sequence for a given function.

I was just thinking, though, that they could be used in a parser. In
case of a syntax error one could find the closest legal syntax to the
input statement. I have known compilers to attempt to correct the
input, but I don't know that they used dynamic programming.

The IBM PL/I(F) compiler was pretty good, with messages like
"Semicolon missing, one inserted".

I still remember when I was just learning Fortran and asked someone a
question about it, they commented about a compiler that didn't
understand the FROMAT statement.

-- glen