Re: Tool support for resolving LR conflict

Karsten Nyblad <148f3wg02@sneakemail.com>
17 Sep 2005 13:58:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tool support for resolving LR conflict alpanad@gmail.com (2005-09-07)
Re: Tool support for resolving LR conflict torbenm@diku.dk (2005-09-10)
Re: Tool support for resolving LR conflict 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2005-09-17)
Re: Tool support for resolving LR conflict alpanad@gmail.com (2005-10-02)
Re: Tool support for resolving LR conflict schmitz@i3s.unice.fr (Sylvain Schmitz) (2005-10-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Karsten Nyblad <148f3wg02@sneakemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Sep 2005 13:58:54 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Sep 2005 13:58:54 EDT

Torben Ęgidius Mogensen wrote:
> alpanad@gmail.com writes:
>
>>Does there exist any tool support which aids grammar writer in finding
>>out possible causes of LR-parser conflict and further give him some
>>hints to resolve them? If yes please provide me relevant links.
>
> The parser generator itself should be able to aid the grammar writer
> in fainding the cause of the conflict. I does so by showing a
> readable representation of the set of LR(0) itemsets and the actions
> on each symbol. This requires some knowledge of LR(0) construction to
> be helpful, though.

Deremer and Penello describe a method for how you can give a hit to
the user on what is wrong in their TOPLAS article on how to calculate
LALR(1) lookahead sets. They trace the graphs used in their algorithm
for calculating lookahead set to find out from the ambiguity comes and
print the information in a human readable way, which does not require
knowledge of advanced parser generator technics.

I have myself ported it to Ole Lehmann Madsens on Bent Bruun Kristensens
algorithm for calculating lookahead set, something anybody capable of
writing a parser generator should be capable of doing.

Karsten Nyblad