does MORTRAN2 still exist?

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
10 Sep 2005 12:28:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comments in a pre-compiler Satyam@satyam.com.ar (Satyam) (2005-09-07)
does MORTRAN2 still exist? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-09-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Sep 2005 12:28:31 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Sep 2005 12:28:31 EDT

Satyam wrote:

(snip)

> In trying to improve it I wanted to make the output nicecly human
> readable. Up to then, the output of the pre-compiler worked nice
> for the interpreter to understand ok, but if I wanted to read it, I
> had to run a beautifier on it.

I suppose I am changing the subject, but this reminded me of the
Mortran2 processor, and also I believe the code it generates, which
has a comment something like:

C This code is meant to be understood by machines and not humans.

Paraphrasing because I haven't seen it for many years. I did a google
search for it, but still haven't found an actual copy, though I did
find Mortran3.

The Mortran series are processors for a Fortran-like language, that
generate Fortran code. It is pretty much a macro processor and a set
of macros, though much of the work is done by macros that modify other
macros.

It is an interesting example of some of the ideas for programming
languages in the 1970's.

-- glen
[Mortran looks a whole lot like ratfor, written at about the same time.
Little known fact: early versions of yacc could produce a parser in
Fortran, so ratfor used a yacc parser. -John]