Re: programming with VHDL, was Looking for a fast C++ parser

Martin Ellis <me_ncl@hotmail.com>
13 Aug 2005 00:24:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Designing a language for dataflow/parallelism peteg42@gmail.com (Peter Gammie) (2005-06-26)
Looking for a fast C++ parser nscc@c7.org (2005-08-07)
Re: programming with VHDL, was Looking for a fast C++ parser emailamit@gmail.com (Amit Gupta) (2005-08-10)
Re: programming with VHDL, was Looking for a fast C++ parser me_ncl@hotmail.com (Martin Ellis) (2005-08-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Martin Ellis <me_ncl@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Aug 2005 00:24:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Aug 2005 00:24:16 EDT

Amit Gupta wrote:

> Of course there would be a need to extend the
> language and to write a compiler to convert VHDL into object code, but
> it should be possible.

I don't see what the need for extending the language is.

GHDL 'converts' VHDL into object code.

I think you can call functions in C libraries from VHDL code (and possibly
also VHDL from C, but don't quote me on that)... VHPI, or VHDL PLI are your
google terms.

As an example of software written in VHDL, there's a program to generate
fractional dividers in VHDL, written in VHDL.
http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/

> [It might, but I don't see what this has to do with syntax highlighting.
> [-John]

Likewise.

Martin