re: Automatic "code-pattern" recognition, in DSP codes

Robert Metzger <metzger@rsn.hp.com>
11 Jul 2005 06:59:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Automatic "code-pattern" recognition, in DSP codes Miguel.CasasSanchez@ucd.ie (=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Miguel_Cas=E1s-S=E1nchez?=) (2005-07-05)
re: Automatic "code-pattern" recognition, in DSP codes metzger@rsn.hp.com (Robert Metzger) (2005-07-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert Metzger <metzger@rsn.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jul 2005 06:59:57 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Jul 2005 06:59:57 EDT

> I am researching in compilers and source to source code transformations,
> for Digital Signal Processors, in particular with the Texas Instruments
> Code Composer Studio 2.2 for the 55x family.

> I was wondering if somebody has ever heard about something like
> "automatic typical DSP-like kernel recognition", for example, as the
> compiler reads the program and sets up the data and control graphs,
> recognise that

> for(i=0, acc = 0; i < N; i++) {
> acc = h[n] * X[N-n];
>}

>can be a FIR filter, that may be substituted as a whole by a fir()
>library function call, most optimised.

>Can be also understood as pattern-search in the code control/data graphs?

>Miguel Casás-Sánchez

Look at "Automatic Algorithm Recognition and Replacement: A New Approach
to Program Optimization", R. Metzger & Z. Wen, MIT Press, 2000.

The purpose of the project described was to replace resource-intensive
parts of applications with calls to highly optimized libraries, which seems
to be well-aligned with your goals.

Robert Metzger
Hewlett-Packard Company
High Performance Computing Division