Re: Generated code depends on amount of memory

Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
31 May 2005 21:42:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generated code depends on amount of memory derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones) (2005-05-28)
Re: Generated code depends on amount of memory bstecher@qnx.com (2005-05-31)
Re: Generated code depends on amount of memory bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2005-05-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 May 2005 21:42:31 -0400
Posted-Date: 31 May 2005 21:42:31 EDT

Derek M Jones <derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk> writes:

> All,
>
> I have heard about a compiler that takes account of the amount of
> memory available in the machine it is being executed on when deciding
> how much optimization to do (i.e., more memory gives it more room to
> do more optimizations).

I believe the DEC Ada compiler for VMS did that.

It seems unwise, to me. Software vendors have enough trouble
reproducing their customer's bugs, without deliberately making the
software behave differently on the customer's machines.

Better to have command-line switches to control such things,
if they are necessary at all.

- Bob