Re: Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started.

napi@cs.indiana.edu (Mohd Hanafiah Abdullah)
12 Feb 2005 15:37:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started. NatLWalker@gmail.com (Nate the Capricious) (2005-02-11)
Re: Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started. napi@cs.indiana.edu (2005-02-12)
Re: Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started. torbenm@diku.dk (2005-02-16)
Re: Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started. touati@nospam-prism.uvsq.fr (TOUATI Sid) (2005-02-28)
Re: Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started. torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (2005-02-28)
Re: Compiler Construction - New to it and getting started. touati@prism.uvsq.fr (TOUATI Sid) (2005-03-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: napi@cs.indiana.edu (Mohd Hanafiah Abdullah)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Feb 2005 15:37:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Feb 2005 15:37:31 EST

Nate the Capricious <NatLWalker@gmail.com> wrote:
>I want to start doing some research on compiler construction and was
>wondering what programming language you guys use or would like to use
>to implement a compiler. I know a bit of C/C++ and 'a little' Pascal
>but was reading and it seems Modula-2 and Objective CaML get alot of
>thumbs up in this department.

You will not go wrong with C being a mature language and a pervasive
one, regardless of its drawbacks. Every language has its downside.
The following website shows an index on programming languages
popularity:

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

which shows C is up there.

The availability of support tools and components for C is overwhelming
be it on desktop platforms like Linux, Windows, MacOS, Solaris, etc,
or on embedded systems or game consoles. So, with due respect for the
various languages, if you are going to write a compiler C would be an
excellent choice.

Napi
--
http://www.axiomsol.com