Reatrgetable Compilers

Perseus Patrawala <p.patrawala@gmail.com>
22 Jan 2005 18:23:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reatrgetable Compilers p.patrawala@gmail.com (Perseus Patrawala) (2005-01-22)
Re: Reatrgetable Compilers anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2005-01-24)
Re: Reatrgetable Compilers ikosarev@online.ru (Ivan A. Kosarev) (2005-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Perseus Patrawala <p.patrawala@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Jan 2005 18:23:53 -0500
Posted-Date: 22 Jan 2005 18:23:53 EST

Hi

I am interested in making a retargetable compiler that compiles in
C/C++ source code and can take care of machine dependent optimisations
- that include register spills, pipelining issues.

Since this is a college level project, I do not need to go into a
really high detailed architecture - however I want it to be functional
with at least the minimum workings of a compiler.

Can anybody help me out as to what lines to follow, or if there are
any freeware tools that can be used to implement the various stages,
or some source codes and pre existing retargetable compilers that I
can study and follow up on.

Though the theoritical concepts are pretty much clear to me - as to
what are the various stages and all, it is the implementation that is
bothering me. I am confused on where to start.

Obviously the input will be a C/C++ program and output shoould be a
object code or assembly language output - and the three address code -
so that optimizations are also done.

The system specifications would be either a windows or linux machine -
a sun sparc station may not be possible for me to get hold of.

Please mail me at p.patrawala@gmail.com or post a reply to the forum
here if anyone can suggest a suitable outcome.

Thanks
Perseus Patrawala
Computer Engg Dept.
NSIT, New Delhi
[In principle, retargetable compilers are easy. In practice, dealing
with the little details of the target architectures takes a great deal
of effort. -John]