Re: Language used to write compilers

napi@cs.indiana.edu (Mohd Hanafiah Abdullah)
3 Jan 2005 00:52:50 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Language used to write compilers Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (Martin Ward) (2004-12-31)
Re: Language used to write compilers nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-12-31)
Re: Language used to write compilers idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2004-12-31)
Re: Language used to write compilers Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2005-01-01)
Re: Language used to write compilers nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-01-03)
Re: Language used to write compilers napi@cs.indiana.edu (2005-01-03)
Re: Language used to write compilers vbdis@aol.com (2005-01-09)
Re: Language used to write compilers nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: napi@cs.indiana.edu (Mohd Hanafiah Abdullah)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Jan 2005 00:52:50 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Jan 2005 00:52:50 EST

Scott Moore <samiam@moorecad.com> wrote:
>Joe H. wrote:
>
>> Question - what languages are used to write compilers? My world is
>> Unix/Linux - should I wait until a course is offered using C/C++?
>
>Many compilers are written in Pascal. It is perhaps the only language
>with a single character lookahead buffer built into to the language.

If you are coming from the UNIX/Linux world I would recommend C. C is
well integrated with UNIX, although you might want to also consider
C++. The other GNU tools that come with gcc are also C centric. And
if you are used to using pointers and linked lists again C (or other
Algol-like languages) come naturally, provided you use them with care.
You can look at C as a high-level language that was designed to also
have low-level features in order to do system programs such as OS or
compilers or device drivers relatively easier resulting in a less than
safe development environment as long as you are willing to live with
it. Most production quality C/C++ and even Java compilers were
written in C. But, it's good to learn Java for applications
development.

Napi

--
http://www.axiomsol.com