Re: Profile Based Optimizations in parallel programs.

Randy Crawford <joe@burgershack.com>
5 Dec 2004 21:31:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Profile Based Optimizations in parallel programs. par_ianth@yahoo.com (2004-12-01)
Re: Profile Based Optimizations in parallel programs. joe@burgershack.com (Randy Crawford) (2004-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randy Crawford <joe@burgershack.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Dec 2004 21:31:24 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Dec 2004 21:31:24 EST

PK wrote:
> Does anyone know of work that has looked at profiling based
> optimizations for parallel programs? I did some googling and didn't
> find much. I am looking for parallel program optimizations that can be
> guided using some program profile information.

I think you might want to search using "profile guided optimization" (or
"PGO"), "compiler", and "parallel".

You may find something in the compiler research done for EPIC
processors, since profiling and VLIW-style parallelism is (was)
fundamental to these architectures.

Here are a few sample Google hits that may be of interest:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=351411

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/167113.html

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~nvachhar/papers/cgo01_ose.pdf

http://www.cis.udel.edu/~hiper/passages/papers/wayIASTED01.pdf

http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~scholz/pdfa.html

Wen-mei W. Hwu, Richard E. Hank, John C. Gyllenhaal: Using Profile
Information to Assist Advaced Compiler Optimization and Scheduling. LCPC
1992: 31-48

Using Profile Information to Assist Advanced Compiler Optimization and
Scheduling (PostScript version, PDF version)
William Y. Chen, Scott A. Mahlke, Nancy J. Warter, Richard E. Hank,
Roger A. Bringmann, Sadun Anik, and Wen-mei W. Hwu
Advances in Languages and Compilers for Parallel Processing,
U. Banerjee, D. Gelernter, A. Nicolau, and D. Padua (editors),
Pitman Publishing: London, 1993.

          Randy

--
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu