Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
26 Nov 2004 22:40:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing gauravga@noida.hcltech.com (Gaurav Gautam, Noida) (2004-11-20)
Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing arargh411@arargh.com (2004-11-26)
Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2004-11-26)
Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing beliavsky@aol.com (2004-11-26)
Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-11-29)
Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing henry@spsystems.net (2004-12-11)
Re: test suite generation for Fortran compiler testing nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-12-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Nov 2004 22:40:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Nov 2004 22:40:42 EST

Gaurav Gautam, Noida wrote:

> I Am Working To Test A Fortran Compiler(IG Code Generation.... To Be
> Specific). Can Anyone Guide Me Abt The Different Techniques Of Doing So. I
> Usually Have To Write Test Cases For Doing.
> So I Am Looking At The Prospects And Methods Of Automation Of Geneartion Of
> Testcases. Does Any One Knows Any Tool Which Can Help To Generate Test
> Suites And Test Cases (For Fortran If Specific).

Knuth has some description of the test suite for TeX.

He claims that it gets to all parts of the code except for fatal error
processing code. Somewhat iteratively, develop a test, find which
parts of the code it doesn't reach, change it so that it does.

I used to hear stories about using cards from the card recycling bin
for a stress test of compilers. This method seems to have fallen out
of use lately.

-- glen
[Someone did some embarassing stress tests of Unix utilities by feeding
them streams of random bytes as input. Nearly all of them crashed. -John]