RE: PL/I parsers, was problems with identifiers and keywords...

"Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com>
14 Nov 2004 22:38:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
problems with identifiers and keywords... micha-1@fantasymail.de (Micha) (2004-10-21)
Re: problems with identifiers and keywords... cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-10-23)
Re: problems with identifiers and keywords... gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2004-10-24)
Re: problems with identifiers and keywords... wclodius@lanl.gov (2004-11-06)
RE: PL/I parsers, was problems with identifiers and keywords... tom@kednos.com (Tom Linden) (2004-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Nov 2004 22:38:49 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Nov 2004 22:38:49 EST

The Freiburghouse PL/I for Translation Systems, which formed the basis
of the PL/I compilers for all systems aside from IBM was a new
implementation from the Multics version.

Characterizing IBM PL/I as "more than ANSI" is misleading. That ANSI
definition is actually more rigorous, and unlike IBM did not have ad
hoc extensions. Although we own the VMS version of PL/I which also is
derived from the original Freiburghouse compiler, our UNIX version
actually implements ANSI, IBM (version 2.3) and Digital as separate
dialects. I chose to keep them separate.