Complexity of 'SI + interfaces' vs. 'MI'

Gioele Barabucci <dev@gioelebarabucci.com>
17 Oct 2004 16:19:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Complexity of 'SI + interfaces' vs. 'MI' dev@gioelebarabucci.com (Gioele Barabucci) (2004-10-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gioele Barabucci <dev@gioelebarabucci.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Oct 2004 16:19:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Oct 2004 16:19:25 EDT

How can a compiler take advance of the fact that an OO language has
only single inheritance + interfaces instead of multiple inheritance
(a-la Java)? Surely it is freed from the "diamond problem": it will
always know from which class a method is inherited.

But can the compiler exploit this situation to produce better
(simpler, smaller and faster) code? Can the adjustment-table in vtable
be eliminated? Can the thunk functions be simplified?

What optimizations (I'm mostly interested in runtime ones) can be
implemented once some assumption are relaxed or strengthened?

--
Gioele
[Seems to me it's mostly leaving out code for complications that