Re: How to write my own compiler

Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org>
25 Sep 2004 13:06:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to write my own compiler macrocosm@fastmail.fm (Arich Chanachai) (2004-09-21)
Re: How to write my own compiler nick.roberts@acm.org (Nick Roberts) (2004-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 2004 13:06:36 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Sep 2004 13:06:36 EDT

Arich Chanachai wrote:

> Can anyone here tell me how or give a REALLY good tutorial/reference on
> designing a programming language/compiler?

Writing Interactive Compilers and Interpreters
P. J. Brown
Wiley - Interscience
ISBN 0 471 10072 2

> Are there integrated development enviroments for this? What is involved?

No (none that is specific to compiler writing). There are toolkits, but
these are generally designed to be used by experienced professionals.

Very often, the best way to design a new programming language is to write
an interpreter for it first (or a minimal compiler or pseudo-compiler).
This approach allows you to try out and refine the design of the language
itself before expending a lot of effort writing a full compiler.

--
Nick Roberts
[If you can't find a copy of Brown's book, I have an extra copy for sale. -John]