Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler?

Randy <joe@burgershack.com>
21 Sep 2004 22:15:39 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? dido@imperium.ph (Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla) (2004-09-13)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? torbenm@diku.dk (2004-09-13)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? dmclean@stsci.edu (Donald F. McLean) (2004-09-13)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? napi@axiomsol.com (2004-09-14)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? vidar@hokstad.name (2004-09-14)
RE: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? quinn-j@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-14)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? joe@burgershack.com (Randy) (2004-09-21)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? kamalp@acm.org (2004-09-21)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? tommy.nordgren@chello.se (Tommy Nordgren) (2004-09-24)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? kamalp@acm.org (2004-09-25)
Re: Mathematics skills for writing a compiler? firefly@diku.dk (Peter \Firefly\Lund) (2004-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randy <joe@burgershack.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Sep 2004 22:15:39 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Sep 2004 22:15:39 EDT

Quinn Tyler Jackson wrote:
>>What mathematical skills do I need in order to build an "average"
>>compiler? such as numerical methods, CFG, DFS.... etc
>

> <IMO>
> Set and graph theory definitely don't hurt. A smattering of background
> in combinatorics comes in handy when the going gets tough.
>
> Hands on experience with a few "toy languages" and lex and yacc-like
> tools and a copy of Levine et al.'s _Lex & Yacc_ and Friedl's
> _Mastering Regular Expressions_ will carry you a long way, too.

Not necessarily to disagree, but I'd add:

> Then, an audit of Appel's _Modern Compiler Implementation in C_,

Also _Engineering a Compiler_ by Cooper and Torczon. I prefer it to Appel.

> followed by Muchnick's _Advanced Compiler Design Implementation_,

Also _Building an Optimizing Compiler_ by Morgan and _Optimizing Compilers for
Modern Architectures_ by Allen and Kennedy. These texts seem a little more
cohesive to me than Muchnick's.

And if your tastes run toward parallelism:

_High-Performance Compilers for Parallel Computing_ by Wolfe. You'll probably
want to refresh your linear algebra before reading this one.

      Randy
--
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu
[I'd really appreciate it if people were to send in three sentence capsule