RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars?

Quinn Tyler Jackson <quinn-j@shaw.ca>
14 Sep 2004 16:58:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Application of Conjunctive Grammars? chickenkungpao@hotmail.com (Monty Hall) (2004-09-13)
RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? quinn-j@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-14)
RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? quinn-j@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Quinn Tyler Jackson <quinn-j@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Sep 2004 16:58:47 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Sep 2004 16:58:47 EDT

Monty Hall said:

> I'm reading about conjunctive grammars and was curious where they are
> used. What feature of a programming language would require the use of
> a conjunctive grammar? I've seen many examples with contrived rules
> and terminals and would like to see a practical example. Since many
> programming languages have hacks to parse ambiguous or non CFG
> grammars, what programming language constructs can be expressed using
> conjunctive CFGs?

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but Okhotin's Boolean
grammars are an extension of Conjunctive grammars.

http://hirvi.cs.queensu.ca/programming/

There are two recent papers there that might be on target.

A. Okhotin, "A Boolean grammar for a simple programming language" (ps,
pdf), Technical Report 2004-478, School of Computing, Queen's
University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

A. Okhotin, "On the existence of a Boolean grammar for a simple
procedural language" (ps, pdf), submitted for publication.

Those discuss specific programming language features that have been
described formally.
--
Quinn Tyler Jackson

http://members.shaw.ca/qjackson/