Reg. Stack allocation and profiling tools in X86

Subramanian Ramaswamy <gtg418c@mail.gatech.edu>
13 Sep 2004 10:49:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reg. Stack allocation and profiling tools in X86 gtg418c@mail.gatech.edu (Subramanian Ramaswamy) (2004-09-13)
Re: Reg. Stack allocation and profiling tools in X86 irogers@cs.man.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (2004-09-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Subramanian Ramaswamy <gtg418c@mail.gatech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Sep 2004 10:49:29 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Sep 2004 10:49:29 EDT

Hi,

How is the heap and stack size allocated in X86? Do they start off at
both ends and keep coming towards each other as they grow as in MIPS?

If it is like above, is there any profiling tool that will help me
figure out the maximum stack size for benchmarks on X86, so I can filter
out all the stack references from the memory trace I plan to generate.

Really appreciate responses to the above questions.

Thanks,
Mani
[It varies from one operating system to another. -John]