Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler

Gioele Barabucci <dev@gioelebarabucci.com>
8 Sep 2004 12:21:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler dev@gioelebarabucci.com (Gioele Barabucci) (2004-09-08)
Re: Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler pohjalai@cc.helsinki.fi (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2004-09-13)
Re: Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler arnold@skeeve.com (2004-09-13)
Re: Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler tzvetanmi@yahoo.com (2004-09-13)
Re: Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler dev@gioelebarabucci.com (Gioele Barabucci) (2004-09-24)
Re: Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler hannah@schlund.de (2004-10-02)
Re: Implementation of "class inheritance" in a compiler arnold@skeeve.com (2004-10-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gioele Barabucci <dev@gioelebarabucci.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2004 12:21:19 -0400
Posted-Date: 08 Sep 2004 12:21:19 EDT

Hi,

may you suggest me some readings (web, books, magazines) that examplain how
compilers can implement classes (memory layout...), templates and
inheritance in compiled languages like C++ or Java? There are many
tradeoffs between memory occupation, compile-time performance and runtime
performace; I'd like to know how the various researchers solved these
problems.

Usually the standards don't mandate a precise implementation, so compilers'
writers must have deal with these problems. Are there papers or books that
on this topics that reports their attempts?
--
Gioele Barabucci
[Wilhelm and Maurer's excellent "Compiler Design" has a chapter that